I made the Stargate per Carasibana's instructions with a few minor changes. I printed the Stargate with a Lulzbot Mini and ABS material. All pieces printed OK except the base had to be reduced in Cura using a scale factor of to .97. No problem, but when the print completed the corners warped due to the ABS characteristics. To correct this issue, I used Netfabb basic (free) to split the .stl file in two pieces. I placed the pieces on their side and printed each one with the selection of “Print Support Structure” and “Print Brim”. This solved my issue and I used SCIGRIP Weld-On 3 Cement to glue it together. The glue can be purchased at http://www.tapplastics.com. Don't forget to pick up a few applicator syringes as well. The glue is amazing. I used the glue to join the Gate pieces together as well.
Printing the lower in this way eliminated warping. The gear hole printed a little larger than the 5mm shaft of the stepper motor so I modified the STL and printed the gear with a smaller hole and added a flat spot for the shaft. Once I started putting everything together I left off one side of the gate base so I could adjust as needed. After about 15 minutes the 5mm gear mounting hole flat area wore away and the gear would no longer turn. To solve this I needed a metal gear or a way to mount the gear to an aluminum coupling or collar. I found a 5mm coupling on amazon
I drilled and tapped two small 6-32 holes in the aluminum coupler and drilled 2 holes in the gear so the gear could attach to the coupler with small 6-32 screws. Once completed, I slid the coupler over the motor shaft and use the set screws built in the coupler to tighten the gear/coupler assembly against the motor shaft. At this point I was going to glue the whole assembly up, sand, add bondo and finish the platform. I decided to split the lower assembly from the upper assembly first and mount the lower assembly (motor mount and Arduino) to a wood platform. This would provide a means to get to the motor assembly later if needed. The upper assembly slides down over the motor and gear and is screwed down to the wood platform from the bottom of the wood platform. Doing this allows me to finish and paint the gate but still disassemble if needed.
The last thing I did was install a switch that the Arduino monitors. If the switch is up, the light show is played back continuously. If the switch is in the down position it runs the dialing sequence.